Friday, May 14, 2010

Chocolate + Oranges

Gosh, I love to bake! The trouble is when I feel like baking & Don doesn't feel like eating what I've made. The boy doesn't always have a sweet tooth {ridiculous, I know!}, & it can get me into trouble.  Lately, however, he's been asking for dessert: "Umm, brownies sound good...", "Any chance that you could make me some cookies tonight?!", etc.  I love it!

My all-time favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is from King Arthur Flour, & it's mmm mmm so yummy.  Hints of almond make it taste unlike any other chocolate chip cookie you've tried, but without making it "different".  You've got to try it!  Plus, it freezes really well so I frequently make more dough than I need & save it for an easy baking later on!  Making it too easy to eat delicious cookies, I suppose!

But this is my go-to recipe.  I need a new one to add to me repertoire.  Could this be it?!

Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups of flour (self raising/all purpose)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (or 4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 ricotta, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg at room temperature
3/4 cup chocolate chips

  1. Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together, in a medium bowl, until well blended.

  2. With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter and ricotta on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar, orange zest, and vanilla and beat until well blended, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl. On medium speed, add the egg and beat until blended. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated. Cover bowl and refrigerate until a little firmer, about 30 minutes.

  3. Heat the oven to 350F/180C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking liner. Drop rounded tablespoons of batter on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake until a light golden colour, about 15 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

  4. Enjoy!
Thanks to Pinecone Camp for posting this sure-to-be delicious recipe!  I think I will have to give it a try very soon!

*** Photos from yesterday's {very rainy!} ceremony coming soon!  If you want to see what I look like drenched in rain with my hair flat as a piece of paper against my face, scurry back here later on!  Oh boy, I needed an umbrella! ***
    post signature