Thursday, March 11, 2010

Vintage Recipes: Brown Sugar Cookies

I just stumbled upon a blog tonight called Recovered Recipes, & I can honestly say I've never seen another blog like it! The blogger posts recipes found on old recipe cards, vintage, handwritten, & full of personality! What a great idea!  My mom has a lot of recipe cards from her mom & other female relatives.  There's something wonderful, I think, about holding the card in your hand, its edges torn, its paper yellowed, & many times its words covered with splashes of vanilla or olive oil.  This is the sign of a tried & true, loved, & perfected recipe!

Right now, I'm craving sweets.  I wrote on my Facebook status that I'd love to make some brownies right about now!  Or cookies.  Or cupcakes.  But I don't dare when I'm alone in the house for another ten days!  Anyway, needless to say that the recipe that caught my eye on Recovered Recipes is one for Brown Sugar Cookies.  I don't know that I've ever heard of this recipe!  Can you believe it?!  I sure can't.  They sound like a classic, though.  And the author of Recovered Recipes says that she remembers her Mom adding nutmeg to the recipe.  Mmm!  I may be making cookies soon after all.  Heaven help me!  I'd better go to the gym too!  :)
Brown Sugar Cookies
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
  • 2/3 cup shortening (=10 2/3 tablespoons)
  • 3 cups flour, rounding
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream together the eggs, sugar and shortening.  Add flour, cream of tartar, soda, salt and vanilla.

Lightly dust a smooth surface with flour on which to roll the dough.  The recipe notes to 'roll thin', likely 1/4" or so.  Bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes.  Makes 4 dozen.
Bon Appetit!  Let me know if you try this recipe!  And if I do, I'll report back :)

PS ~ Lucius seems to be doing much better today.  The little rascal even took out his IV overnight, saving us a trip to the Vet & possibly even some money!  Good boy.  He doesn't have much of an appetite, though, & what little he does eat just comes back up.  And the poor sweetie cries a lot.  I've been doing a lot of snuggling :)
post signature