Wednesday, February 24, 2010

DIY Ribbon Bulletin Board -- Easy & So Cute!

There's a small wall behind out front door where I had once nailed in hangers for the dogs' leashes & collars.  These hangers were knocked out by the door, however, leaving two good sized holes in the wall.  {Sorry, Hausmeister!  I'll fix them before we move out!}  I'd been thinking for a while about what I could put there to cover the holes that would be nice & flat to stay out of the door's way!  I decided a cork board might be nice there, a good place in the entryway to showcase family pictures or even to-do reminders.

I found a large plain cork board at the PX for only $10, so I snatched it up.  It fit perfectly in the space, but looked a bit boring....

So I searched for some DIY projects to pretty up my board.  It now looks awesome!  With some scissors, fabric, ribbon, batting, a staple gun, measuring tape, & upholstery tacks, I now have my very own one-of-a-kind bulletin board!  And the grand total?  Less than $25!

Just in case you'd like to try this out, here are the instructions from DIY Network, along with some pictures of my own!
Step 1: Attach fabric and batting to cork board

Lay the fabric face down on the work surface and cover it with a layer of batting. Center the bulletin board face down on the batting.  Use a staple gun to attach the fabric and batting to the back of the bulletin board. Staple the middle of one side, then pull the fabric and batting taut and staple the opposite side. Staple alternate sides in this manner. Before stapling the corner fabric, clip off excess batting at the corner so the fabric will lie flat.




Step 2: Crisscross ribbon over board

Turn the bulletin board face up, and arrange pieces of gimp ribbon in a crisscross pattern across the front of the board. Pull the ribbon taut, and use upholstery tacks to pin it in place at the edges of the board and at intersection points. Insert the upholstery tacks by lightly tapping them in place with a tack hammer. If necessary, use needle-nose pliers to hold the tacks while hammering.



Step 3: Attach ribbons

Attach the ends of the ribbon to the back of the bulletin board with hot glue.
Instead of using hot glue to attach the ribbon backs, I just continued to use the staple gun. Easy!  And here are some before & after pictures of mine!  I love the fabric & ribbon that I found on Post!


And for further inspiration, here are some photos of other ribbon boards that I like!


Monogram - Shop . Com {this sells for $100!}

A More Manly Version from Photobucket